Sunday, November 05, 2006

Champaign 2006: $100m for 1 proposition (#247, Topic M)

Commenting on my post on campaign spending (#231), my anonymous friend was surprised (and judging from his tone, somewhat upset) that the total would be $2.3 billion for this mid-term election. While I have no intention of further upsetting my good anonymous friend, I regret to say that that figure, although barely a week old, is out-of-date. Last evening, I heard over my car radio that the total had just jumped by more than 10%, to $2.6 billion -- and the campaign season still has 2-3 days to go. Today, I read, in a post in an investment-focused website, that, in California, oil companies have invested more than $100 million to defeat a proposition (#87), aimed at the state's getting 6% "extraction fee" (royalty) from oil companies. Up to now, as I read the post, California receives nothing, while some states get up to 15% (Texas gets 6.4%). If this proposition passes, California is scheduled to receive $4 billion a year (out of oil companies' take of $70 billion). So, the stake is high and $100 million is a small sum to pay for such a big payoff. On the other hand, while I can see the value of "investing" in campaigns that have direct cost-benefit consequences, I fail to see the rationale of investing in congreesional-election campaigns -- the cost would be higher than $100 million, but where is the payoff?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are apparently a chess player. Imagine if you and your opponents were not limited to winning simply by virtue of your chess-playing ability, but that the rules allowed you to spend unlimited amounts on "influencing" the judges on what wonderful people you are (and not anything to do with your actual chess-playing abilities), how you would be a windfall gain for the world of chess and promote its world-wide popularity. Etc, etc. But - like politics - what does spending $2.6 billion have to do with whether a politician is going to do a good, honest job for his or her constituents? A sad state of affairs. What are the limits to democracy?

11/06/2006 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home