Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Symbolism in Chinese Ideograms (#138; Topic L)

Each Wednesday, People's Daily Overseas Edition has a full-page feature on "Learning Chinese," with contributions from teachers as well as students. The 5/24/06 issue has a short letter from Germany, in Chinese, which may be translated to the following (by me):
I am called Eileen, I am 14 years of age, I am a German national. I have an elder sister, who is called Domenica; I like her very much. I like to learn Chinese, because Chinese is very interesting. For example  [one 人 (= person) on top, and two 人 人 at bottom, side by side as a pyramid] is by writing 人 three times, symbolizing a lot of people [populace].

This is indeed a keen observation -- bravo to a 14-year old. Quite a few Chinese words are formed by pyramiding three simpler words to symbolize a new concept. For example, three words, each meaning wood, 木, may be pyramided to form a new word meaning forest 森. Similarly, three hands, 手, may be pyramided together to form a word meaning a pickpocket 掱. Such is the beauty of Chinese ideograms and the inventiveness of our ancestors.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to believe a 14 year old German girl could figure that out on her own. Well done!

5/31/2006 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home