Friday, May 26, 2006

Memory loss (#131; Topic D)

My wife and I moved into a retirement community in April 2005, about 13 months ago. Though the move is within the same county, involving but 8-9 miles, I somehow can no longer remember my old neighborhood. On May 6, I lost my way trying to be on the same Freeway exit to northern Virginia (where, on the first Saturday of each month, I attend a class on Dao De Jing, which happens to use my translation as the text), resulting in my abandoning the trip -- the class would be half over before I could even find an exit to drive on. Learning from this sad experience, I wised up -- now, in going to northern Virginia, I simply use the Freeway exit closest to me; it is longer, takes more time, but the drive is straight forward -- on May 19, I took my sister and brother-in-law, visiting us from Hong Kong, to the airport without undue delay, a major accomplishment, given my present state of affairs. Sunday, May 21, I was to attend a lecture on "US-China diplomatic relations: past and present," held in a Chinese restaurant I have frequented at least several dozen times, though none since moving to our present address. Even the restaurant is situated between our old and new residence (thus, only about 5 miles from us), somehow, I could not remember how to drive there. Looking at my map was no help either; somehow I could not locate the street. Taking a chance by leaving early, I was promptly lost. Asking for direction while driving -- on a street presumed to be nearby -- was no help either; a driver who said "follow me" led me to a shopping center, and I was worse off. Luckily, I drove out, and was on a street reasonably familiar; it led to the restaurant -- I was just a couple of minutes late. What sheer luck! On Tuesday May 23, after returning from attending a board meeting of the Library of Congress's Asian Division, I somehow could not locate my wallet when I was ready to go to our branch library yesterday afternoon. I called our retirement commnity's security office and then the administrative office (the latter held my wife's pocketbook when she lost it a few months ago); no luck. Remarkably, I found my wallet in the back pocket of a pair of walking shorts -- I simply forgot that, around 4:30 Wednesday, before driving to a post office just outside our compound to mail a few letters, I apparently put my wallet into the shorts' back pocket I was then wearing. I simply could not remember that I did that. Completely upset, and taking advantage of my wife having a shopping-and-dinner outing with several of her friends in the community, I decided to see a movie instead. The movie did not cheer me up; I came to the unescapable realization that my memory is beginning to fail me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that you are beginning to experience a reduction in your ability to remember things, locations. But one effect of such a realization is especially pernicious. And that is the sense of panic, which -in many cases - is not warranted. That sense makes one feel like the degree of loss of memory is even worse than it probably is - in actual fact. So, take some solace that the reduction in memory is a natural development, but it is rarely as fast developing as we often think it is. Put yourself in second gear, and don't think you are in fifth gear. You'll do fine!

5/27/2006 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home