Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Presidential news conference (#334, Topic R)

One of today's Wall Street Journal editorials, commenting on the just concluded 6-nation meeting on North Korea's nuclear program, is labeled "Faith-Based Non-Proliferation Pact." At 9:30, the President held a news conference, carried live by CNBC. The shot showed the president standing behind a podium, with a huge red carpet -- for Valentine's Day, no doubt -- covering the vast ground separating him from the journalists. Perhaps influenced by the word faith I read earlier, I thought the setting resembled the interior of a church, with the one behind the podium pontificating. As the president spoke, he somehow began comments with "I believe." On the North Korea agreement, he said: "I believe it's an important step in the right direction." Fair enough. He also said: "I believe that success in Baghdad will have success in helping us secure the homeland;" "I believe [in the Middle East policy];" "I believe [in NATO's stabilizing influence in Afghanistan];" "I believe [in securing the border]" About the same time, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke was testifying before a Senate Committee. At first, CNBC showed both the president speaking and Bernanke testifying on a split screen -- side by side. About 10 minutes later, CNBC dropped the president's image and focused on Bernanke's answers to various senators' questions. Why so? I ask myself. Clearly, both the president and Bernanke were making forecasts -- one on international politics and the other on international political economy -- both are, of course, vital. Was it because the former's forecast lacked fact-based documentation while the latter's forecast was more solidly grounded? In any case, as far as I could gather from their non-verbal gestures and body languages, the latter had more confidence or self-confidence. But, of course, confidence or self-confidence is not in the same league as faith. Saying "I believe" undoubtedly moves confidence or self-confidence to a higher level.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I believe" you hit the nail on the head. By the way, the reason the TV subsequently turned to Bernanke was probably because what he said might make a difference in the listeners' lives. Whereas the party on the other side of the split screen did not utter anything of import. Even though he IS the President.

2/15/2007 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home