Monday, February 05, 2007

SuperBowl evening at our retirement community (#325, Topic D)

After posting my entry yesterday (#324), at 6:15 pm, and then dinner at home, my wife and I, at 7 pm, left for our retirement community's clubhouse for a Fireside Forum on Eleanor Roosevelt. At the clubhouse, we went to the foyer, where there is a fireplace and two 50" HDTV mounted on walls. I thought the forum would be held at that cozy foyer and, thus, was disappointed to see only 4 people sitting nearby, three women and 1 man. As it turned out, the talk was to be held at the auditorium (the auditorium was closed for some time for renovation); the four residents were watching the Super Bowl, which, by that time, was about 10 minutes old, with the score 14-6 Bears. The auditorium has 500+ seats; when the talk started at 7:30, there were about 300 in attendance. After introduction, the speaker, a U of Maryland professor (who was, at one time, a Washington Post reporter) thanked the attendees for attending, mentioning, specifically, the sub-freezing temperature and the Super Bowl. The talk was shorter than expected (lasting but 40+ minutes), though it was followed by a fairly long Q&A period. Unable to contain myself, as usual, I asked: "You talked about drug use and addiction in the family. To what extent was opium a factor?" (My wife and I went in early, at about 7:15, and were able to find good seats: the fourth row near the podium, with an unobstructed view of the speaker.) She looked at me, and, without missing a beat, said: "You mean the Delano family and their opium trade in China." She said a few words on this and then went on to say that one of the family members did have an addiction to opium, caused by using it, medicinally at first, for knee pain. As we passed through the foyer on our way to the parking area, there were only three in front of this 50" HDTV -- two women and 1 man. One woman volunteered the score at that point: 22-17 Colts in the 3rd quarter. Upon returning home, I was able to turn the TV on, mainly as background, while working on my computer. I saw the opening kickoff return (when the game was barely 14 seconds old), witnessed a few plays in the 4th quarter, and knew the final score was 29-17 Colts. I did not see any of the commercials (at $2.6 million per 30 seconds), though it became a hot topic in the media (the Wall Street Journal has a 1-1/2-page coverage in today's edition)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home