Sunday, November 26, 2006

Amtrak's service to seniors (#269, Topic D)

Over the years, I have been to NYC's Penn Station probably 20+ times. (At one time, I was a board member of St. John's U's Alumni Association, meeting quarterly in NYC; I have been to US Open Final 3 or 4 times, along with visiting our son from time to time.) But, it always puzzles me that there are no seats for waiting passengers in the concourse level. I now know that this is not so. On our last return trip to DC, we arrived at the Penn Station sufficiently early. Our son took us to passengers' waiting area, which is on one side of the concourse level. While he wanted to help us with putting our luggage on our train, a long wait, we insisted that he go back to work. He did. As I returned to the waiting area after visiting the restroom, I saw a red cap pushing a wheelchair and a luggage cart at the same time. I knew the latter service, but not the former. So, I stopped him to ask; he suggested that I talk to the Customs Service representative at the entrance to the waiting area. On the way in, I made a quick cost-benefit analysis. My wife has knee problems; she cannot walk fast. We have three small carry-on luggages to take care of. The train departs from the lower level, and I don't know where the elevator is. And we don't want to miss the train. Even more important, I don't want my wife to fall. So, whatever this service costs, I would be 'way ahead of the game. As it turned out, both services are free; all I needed to do was to book it, so I did. Looking back, I must pat my own back; I have made a very smart decision. With the holiday rush, our train, which originated in Boston, was 10 minutes behind schedule. More importantly, the track number on which our train was to come in was undetermined. Needless to say, I was anxious. In the meantime, a red cap came to us (by that time, we were seated close to the entrance, reserved for handicapped passengers needing assistance), first to introduce himself (his name is Stanley Simon), then to put my wife in a wheelchair. He also assured me that he would take care of us, and motioned me to calm down. When the time came, Stanley came, loaded our suitcases, and directed me to follow him. Not knowing what I should do, I gave him a $5 trip (probably inadequate) as our token of appreciation. He then negotiated the traffic, got on two different elevators, and placed our luggage onto the train. Excellent service, particularly during this holiday season. Also, while waiting near the entrance, we could see the CSR in action. He was busy, but he was courteous. I said I wanted to write to Amtrak about his excellent service; he tore off a page from a pad, which shows Amtrak's website, wrote his name (Noel Roman), and gave it to me. Upon returning home, I signed onto Amtrak's website (from which I bought our tickets a few days earlier), but there is no space to write comments. I think Amtrak should redesign its webpage to allow passenger comments. In any case, my wife and I received excellent service from the staff, and our train ride home was pleasant. This entry records our Very Satisfied experience.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I also recently took Amtrak to NYC and back; we used a Red Cap service since my aged mother-in-law was with us. Like you, we had excellent service. Only way we could thank them was to tip them generously. A little known service. Thanks for highlighting it.

11/26/2006 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home