Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"From which country did you come?" (#121; Topic A)

Yesterday, I went to the Brookings Institution for a briefing on PRC President Hu Jintao's visit with US President George Bush next week. For convenience, I went to its cafeteria for lunch, sharing a table with a man sitting alone. I asked whether he was a staff member; he was. He was formerly a staff member in the World Bank group, as I was. He then asked "Are you from Japan?" Since the World Bank has staff members from all over the world, when meeting a stranger in a situation like this, I have been accustomed to ask "From which country did you come?" -- for four simple reasons: (1) I don't know many countries by name; (2) I cannot discern, by looking at one's facial features, whether he/she is a citizen of country A or country B; (3) mentioning a specific country, if wrong, might offend the one being asked; and (4) why speculate, when a direct question is just as easy. So, I was surprised that a former fellow World Bank staff member would risk being offensive (and he was). Still, I answered his question, but added that a direct question would be just as easy. To prove my point, I asked him the question; he was from Germany. He then asked how long I was with the World Bank group, and what I did before that. To the latter, I answered: "I was a university professor." Before I could mention any university by name, he blurted out: "Beijing University?" This could either be a praise (Beijing University in China has the same high regard as Yale in USA) or a put-down (I was not good enough to be on the faculty of a US university). Regardless, I thought he was rather presumptuous. After answering his question ("University of Washington in Seattle"), I said as much. By this time, he had finished his lunch and it was time for him to go back to work. I remained at the table, finishing my lunch, reading some papers to kill time, and then walking to the room where the briefing was to be held.
Posted at 7:22 pm, Tuesday, April 11, 2006

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The prejudiced behavior by the man in the cafeteria reminded me of the famous anecdote (which might have been true) having the punch line "Likee soupee?" To those who are not familiar with that anecdote, you will find it repeated on many web sites by Googling on the phrase "Likee soupee".

-- From Turnberry Bob

4/13/2006 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Li,
My name is Melissa Turner and I am a student from Hedgesville High School that attended the World Affairs Seminar today, April 26, in Shepherdstown. I wanted to thank you personally for speaking at this seminar and offering the viewpoint of a Chinese citizen. You taught me a lot and I feel so much more knowledgeable about China after today. Thank you.

4/26/2006 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Li, I attended the World Affairs Seminar today in Shepherdstown, WV and I wanted to formally thank you for your first-hand insight and knowledge on such a confusing, yet intriguing, subject. I would love to stay in touch with you since I will be attending the School of International Service at American University and having an expert and friend close to hand would be comforting. Thank you again.

Claire Sadeghzadeh
cs2284a@american.edu (my email)

4/26/2006 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home