Monday, June 12, 2006

World Cup (#153; Topic G)

World Cup 2006, in progress in Germany, brings back fond memories. In elementary school and high school in China, I was a forward. Though I could run reasonably fast, I was not good at heading, nor did I master the goal-scoring kick. Thus, at best, I was a so-so footballer -- as the game is called in China and around the world, except USA, where it is known as soccer. Though not known for its interest in soccer, World Cup 1994 was nevertheless held in USA. Several early-round games were played in DC's RFK Stadium; I was there along with my wife. The final was held in Pasadena's Rose Bowl, between, if my memory serves me, Germany and Brazil. With my wife still working, and with our son showing great interest in attending finals of major sports (Final Four in basketball, Grand Slam tennis tournaments, etc), he was able to take a few days off and join me. The stadium was not full (admittedly, it was/is a huge one, with seating capacity in excess of 100,000), and the game was mundane, lacking electifying moments such as those generated by Pelle in his heydays. Talking about Pelle, he actually made an appearance in the same RFK Stadium in the 70s, and the stadium was full; we had a hard time exiting. For that occasion, in addition to our son, my brother-in-law, visiting us from Hong Kong was there as well. At that time, my two-seater was perhaps a year or so old. While unable to proceed due to bumper-to-bumper traffic, my car suddenly indicated an overheated status (due to the air-conditioning); I had to turn off the air-conditioning unit and managed to drive home safely.

1 Comments:

Blogger David H. Li said...

Brazil and Italy (not Germany) played in World Cup 1994. The score, after regular and overtime play, was 0:0. In penalty-kick shootout, Brazil won by 4:3

6/23/2006 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home