Monday, February 13, 2006

Sharing-a-secret project: My contribution (#82; Topic D)

One of today's programs over our local PBS station talked about sharing a secret. The guest on the program, a while back, (1) handed out blank postcards, asking recipients to jot down a secret and mail it back, (2) posted selected responses on his blog, and (3) published them in a book. Since initiating my blog, friends have expressed an interest to comment, but could not do so, because comments are limited to items that have appeared. Listening to today's program gave me an idea: perhaps we can mimic it by my initiating a post, concerning a secret of mine. With this as an opening, those who are so inclined may then submit, as his/her comment, a secret or anything that comes to his/her mind. Since comments may be submitted anonymously and contributors may request non-publication, as I noted earlier (#63), there is enough safeguard. In any case, let me start the ball rolling by initiating one (a relevant Chinese saying is "throwing brick to induce jade"). While in Kuming last September, at a park's entrance, I was stopped by a middle-aged woman selling costume jewelry. Anxious to visit the park, I said to her that I would deal with -- perhaps I used the words "buy from" -- her upon exiting. Some 20 minutes later, as I was ready to leave, there she was, waiting for me. I looked at her offerings; nothing appealed to me. Since I said I would deal with (or even "buy from") her, I thought about simply giving her a five-yuan note (= 60 cents) without receiving anything in return as a means of fulfilling my promise. Then I thought better of it -- this might look stupid and encourage other peddlers to approach me. So I simply walked away without either buying anything from her or giving her a few yuan. She, of course, felt badly, but she was courteous; I felt even worse, since I did not keep a simple promise to a simple person living a simple life wanting to do a simple transaction.
Posted at 2:40 pm, Monday, February 13, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home