Friday, February 03, 2006

Memorable telegrams (#65, Topic I)

Today's Washington Post reports that Western Union, founded in 1856 to deliver telegrams, stopped operations last Friday, 1/27/06. So, an invention by Samuel Morse that began in 1844 in USA, ended. Jogging my memory, several memorable telegrams came to the fore. The last telegram I sent before leaving China was in September 1949: to my father in Shanghai, sent from Hong Kong, informing him of my imminent departure to USA. To send a telegram in China at that time, I must first convert each character into a 4-digit code, using a special dictionary designed for this very purpose. The telegraphic office in Shanghai would decode my message before delivery to my father. Fully expecting to telegraph my father again, I packed a copy of this dictionary; I still have it with me. But, a few months later, in May 1950, Shanghai was liberated; I was never able to cable -- or see -- my father again. The saddest telegraph I ever received was from Shanghai to me in Srinagar via my wife in Seattle, informing me that my father had passed away. That was July 1970, I was staying at the Oberoi Palace Hotel, as a Ford Foundation Visiting Professor to IIM-Calcutta, offering a seminar in Kashmir. One of the happiest telegraphs I ever received was at the registrartion desk of Brown Hotel in London in June 1995, upon returning from a World Bank assignment in Ostrava, Czechoslovia. It was from our daughter and son-in-law, informing me that our first grandson, Maxwell, was born.
Posted at 9:35 pm, Friday, February 3, 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger weizima said...

In the olden days ,the foreigner controlled China telegraph system, all military \commercial info were known before China knew. It is good that they are driven out.
As I heard that the Hong Kong telegraph boy delivered the telegram with the 4-number
groups . In order to know what it meant, the receiver had to pay the boy to translate
the code for a fee. What a rip-off !!

2/05/2006 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home